I spent four and a half days in New York last week. Seems likes I couldn't have timed it any better, since a few days after I left the city shut down in preparation for Hurricane Irene. I should have known something bad was coming when I felt the earthquake in the airport minutes before boarding. I'm so glad I didn't know that earthquakes centered in Virgina could be felt in the city, or I would not have been willing to ride the subway! I guess the world is changing, if New York can be shaken by quakes! Thankfully Hurricane Irene was downgraded to a Tropical Storm before it hit, but it still did some damage.
It's hard to imagine life stopping in NY. I was out in Times Square close to midnight, and it was full of people! Stores were open, people were out, and the weather was perfect. To think of Broadway and the subway shutting down is just so unbelievable, but then again, it happened.
I just hope the rest of 2011 is safe and uneventful!
No comments:
Post a Comment