Family Photo

Family Photo

The Bautista / Bridges

The Bautista / Bridges

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reconnecting

I tend to shy away from social networking sites, and even though I may have an account or two, I usually only use it to view my friends' pages, not to update my own. I find that opening my life to strangers a very scary thought.  On the other hand, I can't imagine why a stranger would be interested in another stranger's life, without the intent of making a real connection.  I see the value in the sites, because it allows people to reconnect.  Friends from across the country, or even across the world can keep in touch and feel like they're still a part of the other person's life.

Last week a friend I haven't seen or heard from in over eight years contacted me through LinkedIn.  I've searched for her in most other avenues, but didn't think to try to that site.  I'm so glad she found me.  It is great when you can catch up with someone you haven't seen in years, as if it's only been days. That's a sign of true friendship if you ask me.

She's is doing well, and has a beautiful family. They have two daughters now. I babysat for her oldest, who is ten years old now! Gosh, time really flies.  Hopefully it won't be that long the next time I see her.

1 comment:

  1. That's great! And there's a balance between "opening your life to strangers" and just being too exposed. As long as you walk within specific confines you won't regret socializing :).

    ReplyDelete